Sunday, November 16, 2008

Making things "all better"

There's something flawed about our world. Something broken and in need of repair. Injustice is around every corner, and how long can we ignore it? Sometimes my stomach aches when I contemplate the evils: children going to sleep with empty bellies, battered women who do not have a voice, unborn children who will never see the sunlight, loving couples who cannot conceive, broken families crying out for restoration, disease ridden bodies who long for healing, and a fallen world in need of its Savior. I follow Jesus, and he satisfies me, but I still long for more. I long for a world where things are right, good, and just. I long for wholeness.

This past Sunday, our pastor reminded us that we will have this ache. Things are NOT right in this world, we are sinful and separated from God. We were created to be in harmony of God, and we can experience this only through Jesus Christ. Yet, as we walk this earth as Christ followers, we will still continue to hunger for more, for we were not created for this world. We were created to commune with God, and one day He will set things right again. He will make all things whole and good again (if any of you would like to hear his sermon check out: http://www.eccbloomingtonmc.org). I have hope that one day my ache will be fully satisfied as I dwell with my God and experience life the way it was supposed to be.


And as I wait for that better day, my hope lies in the metaphorical image of my son sleeping peacefully in his crib without a care in the world, knowing that his mommy and daddy are with him to answer him when he cries and make things "all better". amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully written my friend

~Rain``` said...

I agree with you. Our world is a mess. Yet, there are glimpses of the peace that God desires for all humankind. Peace on Earth... Good Will towards all men and women. His plan will come to fruition. He created the world and then devised a plan to redeem it. It also involved a sleeping baby named Jesus.

Anonymous said...

i, too, ache, mel. i think that's how the love of God pours through us--our bleeding, desperate hearts. keep loving the broken, mel. love u. em.