R and I have been discovering the beautiful mystery of the power of prayer. Last Sunday, a group of our friends, and fellow believers, came over and saturated our house with prayer. We are not quite sure exactly what "happened", but afterwards we sensed such a renewal in our spirits. There was a greater bond between us, and honest conversations emerged--freedom.Prayer is one of the great mysteries in life--the beautiful connection with God Almighty. It is something that is understood more with the actual practice. However, this morning I have found a poem by George Herbert that has captured the mystery of prayer through various tangible metaphors:
Prayer (I)
Prayer the Church's banquet, Angel's age,
God's breath in man returning to his birth
The soul in paraphrase, heart in pilgrimage,
The Christian plummet sounding heav'n and
earth;
Engine against the Almighty, sinner's tower,
Reversed thunder, Christ-side-piercing spear,
The six-days world transposing in an hour,
A kind of tune, which all things hear and fear;
Softness, and peace, and joy, and love, and bliss,
Exalted Manna, gladness of the best,
Heaven in ordinary, man well dressed,
The milky way, the bird of Paradise,
Church-bells beyond the stars heard, the soul's blood,
The land of spices; something understood
Herbert's thoughts on prayer, penned years ago, have described this mystery to me in such a tangible and descriptive way today! I believe as we gathered together in unity last Sunday, we produced that kind of fearful "tune", and as a result experiencing the "softness, and peace, and joy, and love, and bliss" of sweet communion with our God, and honest connection with each other.
2 comments:
trent and i are trying to become closer to God right now, really desperately... we're doign devotions and praying... thank you for this further inspiration mel. love you. em.
Amen!!! Yes! I can't remember if I've told you about this already - one of my prayers has been Watermark's song "Invade" - sometimes it just helps me to pray what other people have written - my heart soars with their words! We often pray over our home and of course over our children and marriage - but (as the homemaker) I really do try to make it a point to pray over our home specifically! R. has such hard and difficult days and I try to make our home a place of rest and peace when he comes - which is what I'm going to do right now as I have LAUNDRY piled up and TONS of cleaning to do - I find that the week-end tends to be our messiest time!!
Post a Comment