Sunday, November 05, 2006

crouching sin


"...sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you but you must master it" --Gen. 4:7b

What's inside my heart? This question has been haunting me this past week, as last Sunday our pastor spoke about the difference between Cain and Abel's offerings (Gen.4). On the surface, both their offerings seem to be appropriate, or even worthy; however, knowing thier hearts, God accepts Abel's offering, while rejecting Cain's. God speaks to Cain and warns him that sin crouches at his "door", desiring to master him. Instead of heeding God's warning, he acts in accordance to what is in his heart--malice, and hatred towards his brother, resulting in murder.

The imagery of sin crouching at Cain's door is striking and frightening. Yet, it is easy for me to look at that story now and think about how foolish he is for not heeding God's warning. It is easy for me to point my fingers at him and think about how he allowed sin to master him. It is all too easy, until I realize that the door is my door--the entrance of my heart. Sin crouches and lurks around my door just as it did around Cain's, and it too desires to master me today.

Yesterday, at our Bible study we examined the life of Saul, and compared him to David. Again, it seems like a similar situation to that of Cain. Saul seems to do everything right: he lives a blameless life and raises a well-behaved son--on the outside he is a righteous and worthy man. But what is inside his heart? I am not sure I can answer this, but after he disobeys God, Samuel reminds him that God does not desire "sacrifice over obedience" (I Sam.15). He tells Saul that God is raising up a king after his "own heart”, which will be David. Saul's heart does not please God.

I have been learning that God is concerned with my heart. He is not so concerned about me doing and saying the "right" things. Instead, he looks at my heart and examines my inner thoughts. The psalmist once prayed, "search me and see if their is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way that is everlasting". This is my prayer for you and I today--that he would examine and purify our hearts, so that there wouldn't be an entrance for sin in our lives.

3 comments:

kanadians in korea said...

very thought-provoking mel. thank you for these words. i need to always be aware of what's 'knocking' at the door of my heart. please pray for me in this. is this picture of your house? it's beautiful. love you! em.

SpagettiKopf said...

Interesting....I JUST studied the story of Cain and Abel this morning in my quiet time. Reid told me recently about a theologians interpretation of what happened - it had to do with the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins - I didn't remember the details and wanted to ask him when he got home this evening. I pondered the "sin is crouching at your door" this morning also -

Wonder if God wants me to ponder it some more!!! Miss you guys!!
Love, Jennifer

SpagettiKopf said...

Oh - how do you load pictures on here? I guess if I dig a little I can figure it out - I like the reoccuring "lilac" color theme in your picture...the house, the plant etc. - and your grass is REALLY green! :) Everything here is really starting to look Novemberish!! I think I'm going to light a candle to "warm" things up a little for Reid when he gets home!