a quick bite to eat,
a brief e-mail,
a twenty second call on my cell phone,
and a short but sweet prayer uttered on the go is what I find myself doing in this high speed world.
I stand in the express lane at the grocery store,
drive through at the bank (I am not kidding you;)),
and when I get my ring cleaned at the jewelers, I am almost shocked by personal conversation that goes beyond ten seconds.
I sit down to write you,
not seeing who you are (although I appreciate the time you take to read my thoughts),
and I wonder: where have the "knock on the door without a phone call, come on in, sit down, have a cup of coffee or tea, and talk" times gone?
Perhaps things have sped up, but one ol' fashioned fact remains: I was created for community; I need your friendship, your encouragement, and your accountability. I need you to speak into my life for more than one minute.
And I hope I'll slow down, and do the same for you.
Saturday, February 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well said!!! I think having been surrounded by cultures in which relationships were valued and "speed" wasn't as much of an issue, we have seen the benefits of what slowing down really does! :)
Hi Mel, I feel the same way. I long for deeper connection with people than the chit-chat which is all we ever seem to have time for. As for slowing down - I have been forced to do that here and it has been frustrating at times, but also good in that we are becoming closer as a family. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
thank Jen,
It is SO great to see you on my blog:) Thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate your friendship deeply!
love, Mel
Post a Comment