Wednesday, December 27, 2006

the wee hours of the morning

It's 5am, and the clock continues to tick. It has been a sleepless night for me, so I have decided not to fight it; I will take this time to reflect.

It seems to me that my most honest thoughts come out in the wee hours of the morning, where I am not able to rush around with the cares of this world, where I am truly faced with myself. Intrapersonal reflection is sometimes a scary task, is that why I rush around so much during the day? Am I afraid of the still small voice that whispers into my heart, showing me the little holes, gently moving me towards correction, and ultimately holiness?

Although scary, this voice is what I have been craving lately. I guess the more I "walk" with Jesus, the more I realize that I need Him. In fact, lately I have been aching for him, and I cannot quite describe this ache. It as though I have known him all my life (since I was six), and still have not known him--I long to KNOW him, for this is what life is all about.

R & I are at the 2006
URBANA, the purpose being people gathering to speak about knowing him and making him known. I am amazed at how Jesus knows the little aches in my heart. Sometimes I cannot even put them into words, yet before these aches are formed, he provides. Does that make any sense? All I know is that I have been aching for him, and because of his great mercies, I am here at this conference--a place where I expect refreshing, and am open to his still small voice.

20,000 students all gathering together desiring to hear more, to live life to the full, to hear his voice. What will He say? Lord, make my heart open, soft and obedient to you. Let me not waste time father, let me use the time that you have given me wisely.

amen.

5 comments:

Ray and Lisa said...

Hey Mel,
I trust you had a very merry Christmas! Back to this wee hours of the morning, I am totally with you on that! I seem to function best early in the morning; my thoughts flow, I am the most creative...we seem to be cut out of a more similar cloth than we previously thought, eh? However, there is a very fine line between early morning introspective Lisa and early morning grumpy pants Lisa, do you find this as well?

Anonymous said...

My sister, your blog is speaking to my soul right now. Just finished some "oh so needed" meditation on the quiteness of the balcony of our guest house. My heart has been aching too... Aching to know Christ and to conceptualize how to make Him known in a relevant and effective manner. Wanna go for coffee? Miss you. ~Rain

kanadians in korea said...

wow mel i miss you. i miss our talks. i really hope we can connect when i get back. thank you for reminding me to pay attention to the still, small voice of Christ. i love you sister. em.

SpagettiKopf said...

Wish we could be there with you guys! By now you may be on your way to Grm and Grp's though - give them a big hug from us! :)

I have found that strong desire to know Him missing the past few weeks - no doubt with all the business and lack of concentrated time with Him - and of course it drove me to the end of myself this past week-end - until I was stripped of everything but the understanding that nothing satisfies, nothing calms, nothing brings peace and joy as life with Jesus....by the way - have you guys heard the new Todd Agnew song "My Jesus" ? I know R. will like it - the text especially - a lot!
Blessings,
Jennifer

Ryan & Melanie said...

miss you too Rain! So great to see you on my blog. May the Lord continue to show you what it means to know him and make him known where you are. You are making a HUGE difference in the lives of your students, as you are a wonderful teacher.
love you! peels