The world is small. In my short life thus far, I have moved to another country, travelled to three continents, and corresponded with my husband Ryan while on opposite sides of the globe. What can I say? I am part of this transient generation.
But this last weekend Ryan and I had the privilege of spending time with another generation--people of the land--our grandparents. We spent time driving on the back country roads, viewing the blue skies and envisioning ripe corn on the black soil. We listened to stories and experiences, and witnessed lives of faith. Our grandparents have lived on this land all of their lives.
After spending time with our grandparents and walking on the land they call home, I felt so refreshed. I realized that they have spent their lives serving on this land, sending others out to serve God in the corners of the world, and faithfully praying all the while. I realized that we need people who are called to a land, people who will stay and pray.
I am thankful for our grandparent's prayers. As a result of their prayers Ryan and I are able to "go". Yes, I realize that our path consists of moving to another country once again, and while we go, I know that our grandparents will continue to pray for us as long as they live on their beautiful land.
(I forgot to take a picture of the beautiful land!)
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for this, Mel! I am not certain yet whether we are ultimately going to be "transients" or "people of the land" - but you are right, God uses both in his own way. It is hard not to view the "going" as the more important calling, but God has been changing my heart about that.
I am so thankful for the "people of the land" in my life - parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, friends, and siblings - those who call this land home. I too find that time with them in their homes and on "their land" is so refreshing. And without them I could not "go".
grandparents are certainly a rich blessing. thanks for the reminder mel. love you, em.
Post a Comment