(photo from http://rons-web.com/faith/oldcross640-1.jpg)by melanie
"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him..." --Isaiah 53:5
There are days where I forget the purpose of my existence. Days where the morning alarm jolts me out of bed without a moment to reflect, and the evening comforters encompass me, stifling my prayers; twenty four hours pass by without the slightest clue as to why or how they passed. But, today is not that day.
Today I choose to remember. This morning's passage, which so beautifully corresponded with the Easter season, did not allow me to forget:
"Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face" --John 19:1-3
The body of Jesus was broken, beaten and bruised. Jesus Christ, innocent and sinless, was mocked and subjected to a humiliating criminal's death--death by crucifixion. He took the place of a criminal, he took the place of sinners.
He took my place.
Dare I forget? I am glad we have times in our year where we are forced to remember. Today I choose to remember the suffering, the passion. I choose to remember that his wounds are my healing balm.
I choose to remember death, so that I can appreciate this life that he has given me, and the glorious hope of the resurrection.
2 comments:
Hey Sis,
Love you and miss you. Looking forward to seeing you both in May! By the way, I think that you guys should get facebook... it's the the latest craze, and in fact, is quite addictive :) We should have a chat sometime soon on the phone. It feels like eons (spelling?) since we last chatted.
Thanks for your beautiful thoughts ...
;-)
Post a Comment