by melanie"Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies...A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish."-- Psalms 49:16, 20
" I have come to that they may have life, and have it to the full...I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish..." --Jesus (John 10:10;28a)
In my darkest hour I imagine my life as the owner of a grand mansion with more rooms than I can count. I imagine being adorned with strings of diamonds and precious gems.
In my darkest hour I imagine a life of success as the world deems successful. I climb the ladder of achievement, and find a name for myself.
And in those hours, I wonder what my life would be like now if I had picked another path. What if I had not followed Christ? What if I chose another career? What if I decide not to take the path to another country? What if I stay and embrace the comforts that I so quickly become accustomed to?
I find the answers to my question in a simple passage penned by one who perhaps grappled with similar questions, "but man despite his riches does not endure...but God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself" (psalms 49). In reading these words I am reminded that that despite our euphemisms and ways to evade the topic of death, one thing is certain--we will all taste death. I am reminded that without Christ this life is meaningless, and that one life spent on pursing and knowing God who endures forever would be worth more than a thousand lives spent on pursuing wealth that perishes. I am reminded of the famous quote by Jim Elliot (a martyr for Christ), "he is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." My earthly life will soon pass away, but the life that I have found in Christ willl endure forever.
This morning I have found light in my darkest hour.
photo taken from:
http://www.piazzadellarte.be/archief2/scholen/2003/hove/resultaatfotos/images/devine%20light.jpg
3 comments:
Wow...I love you. You're so right (what you said on my blog); the connection and the awesome blessing. So sweet...
(And random: I LOVE that you cited the source for the photo!! LOL...so laughing right now, who but educators and writers cite internet photos?? I've been on my students about this lately. So awesome :) )
Ahhh haha...funny! I was signed in under Jer's google account (for some strange reason...) the comment was from me, not him!
Wow. I really needed to read that Mel. Thanks. I find I'm so wrapped up in thinking that life would be so much better if.... It's nice to be humbled. You really hit the spot with that one. Also, Beautiful wedding photo. I haven't seen any from your wedding yet. Lets chat more on email... kerri.gartner@shaw.ca
Have a great week Mel! Thanks again.
Post a Comment