Saturday, April 14, 2007

a reminder

by melanie

I am afraid I am prone to forgetfulness. There have been moments where I have known the goodness of God. Days where I have seen him move in the small ways: an unexpected meeting with a friend, a timely word, a fitting passage. Days where I remember what the Lord has done for me, my purpose, and who I am because of his great love. But truthfully, most days I forget.

Yet, God is good and he does not allow us to forget. After the whispers are ignored, and the gentle reminders forgotten, he chooses to "scream" through our circumstances. At these moments we may feel pain, and yet it is in this pain where we find healing; in this healing we find intimacy with him.

Perhaps in the midst of settling into a new country, and embracing my new (and exciting) role as a wife, I have neglected moments of intimacy with God. Moments where I take the time to listen to listen to his voice and let his word speak into my life. I have exchanged the quiet whispers for the loud voices that engage and entice me. I have forgotten what it means to see God moving in my everyday circumstances.

But lately God is reminding Ryan and I that we need him, as Ryan is dealing with health issues (please keep him in your prayers). Through this circumstance, the Lord is reminding me that I must stay connected to him. In casting my burdens onto his "shoulder", I am able to rest assure that everything will be alright.

I am thankful for this circumstance that is reminding me my need for God. I need to be reminded. For me, a symbol that represents "remembering" is the rainbow. It reminds me of a promise that God made to Noah (Genesis 9). Every time I have the privilege of seeing one, I am reminded that God is good, his presence is real, and that his promises are true.

I write this down so that I may remember this tomorrow, for I am apt to forget again.

1 comment:

Seenhwa said...

We are so forgetful, aren't we? I'm just thankful for sharing that moment of God's promise with you. I'll keep Ryan and you in my prayer. Stay well.