Monday, April 16, 2007

unexpected surprises

This past weekend was one of unexpected surprises. Our friends from a nearby city happened to be in town on Friday night, so we were able to break bread with them at a local Central Asian restaurant. We had a blast speaking three different languages (Ryan is amazing at languages...so proud of him;)), sharing dreams for the future (they are planning on moving to the same country), eating delicious food, and listening to the music from the land we are growing to love--ah, carpe diem.

Saturday, I was surprised by the joy of celebrating a new friend's (and fellow Canadian I must add;)) birthday. It is amazing how God brought her across my path, and even though she is leaving town at the end of this year, I am so blessed to have met her! I am amazed at how small the world is, and how global we have become. My fellow Canadian/Chinese friend, along with our friend from Korea all eating at a Thai restaurant(delicious green curry)! I am amazed at how God brings people together and makes intricate connections!

Then the biggest surprise of joy came on Sunday on a simple walk with Ryan. We went our "normal" route, but this time everything seemed extraordinary. We soaked in the son, and had an impromtu prayer time, and in the midst of our walk we discovered new dreams in our heart for this place we have been calling home. We realized that we have been so focused on our long term "goal", that we have forgotten the here and now. God is good, and we look forward to seeing him move in our blooming town:)

5 comments:

SpagettiKopf said...

GOOD GRIEF!!! I finally figured out what is wrong - I've been having trouble logging onto this for who knows how long and just realized FINALLY that I mistyped something when I signed up - so now I'm going to have to remember to mistype it every time!!! Anyway! Glad you guys had a nice week-end! Hope your week is going well too. Let us know what the doc says. Love, J

kanadians in korea said...

sounds like you've been really encouraged lately mel... friends are so special hey? i'm very glad for you. and it's awesome you and ryan are learning to love and grow in your present situation... after all, the mission field is everywhere right? love you, em.

Ray and Lisa said...

Really encouraging to read your blogs. We must apologize, we have neglected to read them for a while. We will be praying for Ryan's health and for both of you as the Lord prepares your path each day in the community where you are at, whether it is in Bloomingtown or the country that has your hearts attached to it. Love you guys.

Kelly and Jen Fehr said...

Hey Mel, it's so encouraging to read your blog! You two sound like you're having such a wonderful time. Isn't it wonderful how God brings people you need into your life every day? We wouldn't have survived down here without our great friends, and it sounds the same for you. I hope we get to see each other again someday - it sounds like you and Ryan are making some plans! I just pray for you two to find the perfect path God has planned for you and that you receive His blessings for it!
Luv ya!
Jen

Dea' said...

Wow... this post really blessed me! I am so happy that you were blessed with so many special points of joy and wonder and friendship.
I understand what you mean about always focusing on the long-term goal and missing the one in the moment. Yea for a fresh focus and an ability to be in the 'now'! I can't wait to see you!
(Oh, and the weekend youtold me was the 25th...the Thursday to Monday...or soemthing like that).