Thursday, September 28, 2006

the road to reflection

I escaped my urban surroundings this morning and had a little mini road trip to a quaint rural town to teach senior sciences (sort of a joke for this elementary teacher;)) I must say that the drive was breathtaking, and I officially realized that it is fall. The trees were sporting their red and yellow jackets, and the road stretched out to the horizon. With the rubber hitting the road, I was able to have moments of intense reflection; in essence I was able to have an impromptu worship time with my Lord, while enjoying the glorious fall day.

As, I ventured into the morning classes, I found such old-fashioned manners, something that is missing in urban schools. I was so impressed with how the students had a thirst for knowledge, and how disciplined they were in their studies--a teacher's dream. What a juxtaposition with some urban students (not all) who do not value their education! It was my goal to learn the student's names, and it is amazing how much knowing names is key to connecting with people.

One student named Bob (pseudonym) sort of followed me around today. Eventually, he told me that he just went through some terrible heartache the day before. He has been finding it difficult on his studies due to this circumstance. Talking with Bob made me realize that everyone has a "thorn" in their lives, everyone is longing to share their burdens with others, everyone has a name--people are people. I am glad that I was able to listen to Bob's pain.

I guess that is why I am a teacher--I love the fact that I can connect with people (teenage people, little people--they are all people;)). I love the fact that I can impart knowledge, but most of all life skills. I love the fact that I can pray for those people I encounter and share God's love with those around me when the opportunities arise.

After arriving home from my day in the rural school, I found out that one of my thorns is being removed! I am closer to being with my husband!! Thank you for sharing this "thorn" with me! I praise the Lord for such a glorious day on the road to reflection:)

2 comments:

SpagettiKopf said...

Yeee!! What's the date?! :)
If all teachers were like you we'd have our children in school! :)
Hope to see you soon sometime! :)
Love, J

kanadians in korea said...

i am so happy you're closer to being with your husband! you are a beautiful teacher mel, with a very big heart. em.